Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:06:23 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, imp@village.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Kernel Unstable

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker stands accused of saying:
> >
> > 	Okay, but this doesn't quite explain why a kernel (2.2, not 3.0)
> > from around Feb 7th causes a SegFault, while a kernel generated  by
> > the 2.2-RELEASE source tree causes a system reboot...
>
> It all depends on where the fault occurs; if it's in memory used by a
> program, the program gets killed.  If it's in memory used by the
> kernel, the kernel gets killed.

	I hate to beat a dead horse here, but so far as I'm able to tell,
if I were to plug in the March 18th kernel I created and do a 'make cleandir'
on /usr/src, it will cause a panic/reboot.  Same thing with the Feb 7th
kernel just causes a SegFault...annoying, but liveable.

	As far as I can tell, this happens *very* consistently...

	It seems kind of suspicious to me that with the Feb 7th kernel,
it consistently *doesn't* reboot where the March 18th one does...I don't
know if there is anything in the bug reports I submitted for the
March 18th kernel that will help, but they are there, and I still have
the appropriate core files...