Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:17:59 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No sound with quake 2 on FreeBSD-2.2.8

In <199812310539.GAA19443@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > So when are you adding this functionality to the pcm driver? It's the only
>
> I will leave this to people with sufficient motivation to support
> games. Hooks for mmap are already there, synchronization primitives are
> already there, documentation on the internals of the "pcm" driver is
> available, so there is really nothing stopping people from implementing
> it -- not even time, since they want this primitive to play games.

This is an early candidate for the quote of the year :-)

Seriously, if someone wants Quake with sound on FreeBSD, they may try
- Amancio's GUSmax driver
- the ported Linux driver in sys/gnu for the awe64
- OSS http://www.se.opensound.com/ (said to be suboptimal on
  FreeBSD-3.x)

I think the main point about the mmap interface is that you don't need
a seperate thread or process to feed the card. Portably, that is,
without surprises which write(2) blocks when on which driver/os.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer