Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:17:39 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, jkh@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, andreas@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docproj depends on X11 now?!?!

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 11:09:08PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 02:23:10PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Woah.  I was building a test release with DOCS turned on and happened t=
o look
> > over and saw that it was installing the XFree86 3.3.6 port due to a dep=
endency
> > on libpng.  Which is an interactive port.  Which makes release not be
> > non-interactive anymore.  This needs to be fixed, esp. before it comes =
time to
> > rolling 4.3.
>=20
> jasone on #fightclub just told me that Ghostscript turns on the X11
> display device by default.
>=20
> Andreas, with your MAINTAINER hat on, could we patch the ghostscript6 por=
t=20
> so that it asks whether or not the end user needs the X11 support include=
d=20
> or not, and adjust the patches and dependencies as necessary?

Its something I already thought of especially for laptop people
or printer server ...

Do you need NO_X11 to be the default if BATCH or portbuilding is set ?
Or do you only want a switch for interactive portbuilding ?

If its for portbuilding, then please be careful, since then the
apsfilter port needs some finetuning. Currently apsfilter port
relies on ImageMagick, since convert knows about so many filetypes.

For a print server who possible runs without X11, this might
be not a good default. I don't know, I only know, that I didn't
get complaints so far ...

If you change gs port not to include X11 on package building, then
you should perhaps take into consideration, to include some other
conversion utilities, which don't require X11 somewhere in the
dependencies ....

Currently I personally saw no demand in doing this, since regarding
todays harddisk capacities, its no string demand to exclude X11...

> I'm happy to do the work for this.

I'd appreciate this if its possible.

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.2 SMP
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--