Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:45:41 -0400
From:      joel2a@yahoo.com
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation doesn't work right with X and Netscape

I'm using a new standard refurbished HP 8562 computer. PIII with 64MB.
NVidia Riva TNT2.
Using the FreeBSD 4.2 Powerpack product from CompUSA.

Netscape said "bus error (core dumped)" everytime!
No other info is available.

This is probably not a freebsd error but a "package" installation error and
incorrect X installation procedures.

FreeBSD probably does work well with certain particular installations and
certain hardware tailored for it which you must have found.
I'm sure it works well with basic server functions and minimal configurations.
It worked ok except for NETSCAPE when I got it installed.
What good is a BSD workstation without Netscape?? All the other Unix Web
browser's offered are a joke and belong in the trash!

But the INSTALLATION PROGRAM just needs A LOT more work done to it, since
it looks and operates like something out of the 1980's ASCII DOS  programs.

For people who poopoo windows all the time I must say the basic ASCII
installation program sure is a flashback to 1980's MSDOS programs!
Windows is a highly advanced Graphical User Interface and sure beats a lot
of the flaky and buggy X windows managers!

I wasn't really asking for help but letting off some steam about an overly
HYPED installation program.

Joel