Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:05:39 +1300
From:      Craig Bates <c.bates@comnet.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail, MailScanner, file descriptors

Hi,

I'm running two sendmail processes, MailScanner, RAZOR, Spam Assassin on =
a MX=20
box, running FreeBSD 4.7.

/var/log/maillog has the following entry:
Dec 10 08:37:06 mx3 sendmail[25140]: File descriptors missing on startup:=
=20
stdin, stdout, stderr; Bad file descriptor

MailScanner is also randomly dying.  The two problems seem to be one and =
the=20
same.  I put the following in  /etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.maxfiles=3D65536             # System-wide limit
kern.maxfilesperproc=3D32768      # Per-process limit

and  ulimit -n 32768 in my sendmail and MailScanner startup scripts. I th=
en=20
rebooted the box and all seemed ok.  5-6 hours later the problem is back.=
  So=20
it look like the file descriptors are being used up?  Note that this does=
 not=20
happen on every email, but often enough. lsof does not show anything=20
suspicious.

I've looked high and low over the web, but found no definite answer to th=
is=20
problem.

Thanks,

Craig