Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:58:16 -0700
From:      Sam Habash <the@llama.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror))

Terry Lambert stated (among other things):

> I think most people in the West see the correct reaction
> to Palestinians is to say "you lost; get over it, quit
> whining, and go on with your lives; if you don't like it,
> as Israeli citizens, you get to elect representatives, so
> elect people who will do what you want".

Yet another statement of the Way the World Ought To Be by
Lambert.

I didn't know that Palestinians in the occupied West Bank had
citizenship.  Maybe Israel should have just annexed "Judea and
Samaria", so that the "Palestinians" there could have done just
that.  If the Israels didn't have to deal with that very question,
they would have done so long, long ago.  34 years later, we see
the consequences of leaving the question of the West Bank and Gaza
up in the air.

Relatively little is mentioned in the US about the Israeli Arabs
who -have done- and -do- just as you been asking.  Oh, but they
aren't Palestinians then, right?

I find this interesting reading:

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/arabstat.html

Overall, it's bad to look to Israel as a "guiding light" in
such matters...I really do not care to adopt the tactics of a
garrison state, despite what the Israeli lobby in the
United States would like for Americans to pay, er, think...
assssination and collective punishment have no place in societies
dedicated to preserving the rule of law, period...the terrorists
would like for nothing better than to have their purported victims
continue their dirty work.

Yes, I am a US citizen.  Yes, I am "Palestinian" by national origin.
I do not believe that a state run by Arafat's Fatah would be in the
best interest of anybody who values freedom and democracy, since
Arafat and his organization are corrupt, murderous thugs that
have used the plight of the Palestinian people for their own
advantage.

However, I am not one to contest the will of the people there, as
misguided as I feel that it is.  Or are we truly against self-determination
because Palestinians are all terrorists and deserve to have their houses
demolished, their people arrested, beaten, and tortured, etc.?

The Israelis, as rotten as their record has been--Ariel Sharon himself
is *directly responsible* for thousands of civilian deaths (c.f.
http://electronicintifada.net/forreference/keyfigures/sharon.html)--
at least *have* a track record as a pluralistic, multiethnic society.
Despite the massive economic and emotional toll their occupation of the
West Bank has inflicted, and the shocking level which the Israeli
lobby will go to protect continued US aid, and the corrupting influence
of said aid, I hold a fleeting hope that Israel will come to its senses
and not continue on its path of brutality and aggression.

I liked it much better when the chat was about FreeBSD, but there's no
chance of that happening any time soon, is there?

--Sam