Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:39:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> > Don't buy a 2501.  You can get a lot more performance for the same
> > amount of money using FreeBSD and sync serial cards.
>
> 	Yeah, that's what we have been considering.  We are planning to
> dedicate a P5-75 with 16MB ram just to use as the router.  What we are
> worried about is when the ISP asks us what router we're using, what would
> be a good description of this thing?

"UNIX-based router"?

Nothing to be ashamed of.  Two of the largest networks in the world,
IBM and ans.net, use UNIX-based routers running gated.

> > We use a variety of sync serial cards.  The ET card is an old design,
> > takes up two ISA slots (one for each port), and has other problems.
> > The SDL Communications cards (N2d, N2pci) are better hardware.
>
> 	Hmmm, ET takes up two ISA slots?  What are the problems with the
> ET?

The boards that we have -- I think that the date on the PCB is 1992 --
have one connector on the backplate.  The second port is on a very short
ribbon cable that just barely makes it to the next ISA slot.

Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
its way out.

We also had support problems with ET (we bought three boards and ET
adamantly refused to supply three sets of documentation) but YMMV.

> > The problem with the SDL cards is the lack of FreeBSD drivers.  There
> > is a driver for the N2d but not for the N2pci.  The ET driver software
> > suppports more protocols and some degree of compression.
> >
> > So generally SDL wins on the hardware side and ET on the software
> > side.  We prefer SDL but are not happy with the lack of software
> > support.
>
> 	Hmmm okay, but is the ET still better than a Cisco?  and does the
> SDL cost less or more than the ET?

The Cisco 2501 would be my last choice.  If you are using PPP or Cisco
HDLC to talk to your provider, I would recommend the SDL card plus John
Hays' FreeBSD driver.  If you are using frame relay the ET card is the
only choice with FreeBSD.

Last time I checked the ET card was significantly more expensive than
the SDL card.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015