Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:55:00 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winbook & FreeBSD

Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> >       Any problems with certain res's?  I'd like to run it at 1024x768 since
> > we'll be getting one of the bigger 14.1" screens no matter which laptop
> > we end up buying.
>
> No problem for me. I run it almost exclusively at 1024x768 x [16,24]bpp.
> It just took a few tries with xf86config to pick the proper high-res
> monitor and tweak the monitor's sync ranges to only allow for 60Hz video
> modes. And then I removed the higher refresh range modelines, just to be
> on the safe side. I found that an XF86Config generated with XF86Setup (or
> xf86setup?) didn't have the long list of available modelines. Also, the
> Mach64 server didn't handle the normal DefaultColorDepth option in the
> config file, so I whipped up a little 'startx' script of my own that runs
> the real startx with the proper command line options.

	Excellent, as long as it's doable with out taking a hammer to it :-)

> Sorry, I've never needed to use a PCMCIA modem under FreeBSD. Way back
> when I tried (2.2.6-R with PAO) I couldn't get the serial port to work
> properly and gave up since it wasn't important. Any PCMCIA
> non-Winmodem modem you find should work just fine. If you want a list of
> modems that run out-of-the-box, use CVSwep and look at
> /etc/pccard.conf.sample

	Thanks, I took a look and I may end up getting a PCMCIA modem and
disabling the built it one.  I dunno, maybe I can get them to take it
out for me.

> >       I've got a PCI sound card in my box here at work, after applying the
> > ES1371 patch I don't have any problems with it, listening to it right
> > now.  Using the pcm driver ( not the new one, stock 3.2R )
>
> The ESS is not an ES1371. Hence, it doesn't work with stock 3.2R or
> 3.2R+PAO.

	True, my point was simply that there are some PCI based sound cards
that work with 3.2.  The specs say that its "SoundBlaster Pro, MS Sound
System" compatable.  I don't know if that will actually buy me anything
though.

> Hey! I'll be up at UC Davis in less than 3 weeks (just what Davis needs,
> more Computer Science majors :) )

	Maybe we can get some sort of BSD user group in the Sacto/Davis general
area.  So far I've only been able to find Linux groups, and it's not
nearly as fun going to those :-(

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu