Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:50:28 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious (ha-ha) bug in 4.9-RELEASE

Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> wrote:

> > Very critical indeed...  And with such a huge userbase that it took six
> > months before anybody noticed this problem.  :-)
>
> No, we noticed it here at work where we use Sun Solaris
> boxes as our development systems.  I didn't know what the
> problem was until now.  It is very very annoying to have
> man, more, less, etc, screw up your display when using
> them while remotely logged in to our FreeBSD boxes.

     Oh, so THAT's the cause.  I've been seeing this for quite a while,
but haven't been sufficiently annoyed to track it down.  I just assumed
that either termcap or xterm was broken.  I've just been using
"TERM=vt100" as a kludgearound.

>  The
> symptoms are that everything gets highlighted and underlined
> and it stays that way forcing you to close the xterm and
> open another.

     An easier fix is to run vi and exit, which resets the
highlighting.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com