Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:33:56 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Lott <chrisl@thethirdsector.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Inherited a system

--kZU6r8y0YpRwyDfh

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:24:10AM -0800, Chris Lott wrote:
> I've inherited a FreeBSD system (uname says: 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELE=
ASE
> #0:). I have quite a bit of experience with Linux, but not much with
> FreeBSD. I am impressed at this point because this box is the most stable=
 of
> our underpowered boxes, but I am quite unclear on syhstem particulars.=20
>=20
> My main worries right now are: disaster recovery and upgrading to a more
> recent version. This box does heavy duty service as a web server with a m=
ix
> of static and slash sites and a mail system (using PostFix) not to mention
> backup DNS. Because there is so much stuff going on, some of which I am
> probably unaware of, my normal upgrade procedure of wipe, install new OS,
> and reinstall sites and apps isn't possible.
>=20
> Should I worry about upgrading? Any advice about disaster recovery routin=
es?

In all honesty, your best bet would be to get a scratch machine handy,
install FreeBSD on it, and admin it for a bit -- get to grips with the
ports systems, where config files are kept, how the system is
configured, and so on.

That's going to much safer than trying to do anything on a live system.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--kZU6r8y0YpRwyDfh

--kZU6r8y0YpRwyDfh--