Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:58:16 -0600
From:      "Teilhard Knight" <teilhk@hotpost.co.uk>
To:        "FreeBSD_Newbies" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, "Johnson David" <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 05:10 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.1. I have created by means other
> > than the installation program, a partitioning of my disk (160 Gig),
> > and I want to install on one of those partitions. I have three
> > primary partitions and one extended where I have installed Linux in
> > one logical partition. I want FreeBSD to go in another logical
> > partition. When I installed 4.7 in another computer, I had no
> > problems whatsoever.
>
> Not possible. FreeBSD must be installed to a primary partition. At the
> minimum, the root filesystem must be installed to a UFS filesystem on a
> primary partition. It might have been possible that you installed to an
> *extended* partition, blowing away any logical partitions underneath.
>
> > But with 5.1 the partitioning utility only sees
> > the primary partitions, the first three and the extended one as a
> > whole.
>
> That is correct, and by design. FreeBSD uses a different partitioning
> scheme that is not compatible with Microsoft's. IIRC, the original
> design of the PC assumed that each OS would have it's own primary
> partition.
>
> An analogy would be to think of primary partitions as houses, with
> logical partitions as subdividing a house into apartments. FreeBSD is
> not prevented from visiting other houses and apartments, but it must
> reside in its own house. Linux gets away with using Microsoft logical
> partitions because it is a squatter. It is using an empty apartment
> logically owned by another operating system.
>
> > It sees the extended partition as one partition without the
> > logical ones created there. Apparently I must have the partition for
> > FreeBSD as FAT, but other tools do not help me because the partition
> > is too large to be FAT.
>
> FreeBSD must be installed to the partition of type 165, not FAT, NTFS,
> EXT2, or anything else. It can access filesystems on others, but it
> cannot be installed to them.
>
> When you create your primary partitions, you must mark one of them as
> BSD (165). If you are creating them with FreeBSD (or Linux) fdisk, then
> the option is there. But if you are using DOS/Windows fdisk, it doesn't
> know about BSD partitions. So your options are to either leave
> unallocated space, or mark it as FAT remembering which one it is. Then
> during FreeBSD installation, create it or remark it as appropriate.
>
> That huge partition you are seeing is presumably the DOS extended
> partition. During FreeBSD installation, you can only see the primary
> partions, and an extended partition is really a primary partition. If
> you try to install to this extended partitition (by remarking it as a
> BSD partition), you will lose everything in the logical partitions
> underneath.
>
> Another drawback you have to be aware of is that the extended partition
> MUST be the last primary partition. For this and other reasons, I don't
> [...]

Thank you, David. I checked what I actually did in the other computer, and
you are right, I installed 4.7 in a primary partition of another disk. I
appreciate you taking the time to explain to me about partitioning.

I now downloaded FreeBSD 5.2, and I am giving it a try. I just hope I am not
too newbie to deal with it.

Teilhard Knight