Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

> Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> >

> > > [ Discussion about hangs on 2.1.5-stable machine with dual ASUS SC200
> > >   NCR810 PCI scsi controllers follows... may be dangerous to
> > >   mental health ]
> >
> > >  2. PCI latency was set to 80... Michael Smith suggested it be lower than
> > >     32 to i've moved it to 20.
> >
> > Set it to exactly 32, no more, no less.  ASUS and others have done
> > 100's of hours of testing and this was found to be the best setting.
>
> Even with two 810's coming up for an opcode every us?  I'd have
> thought you'd want to allow for (max latency + one opcode fetch) < 1us
> so that the second one didn't starve...

Even with 6 of them.... the latency time just says if someone else wants
the bus I can't use it for more than a total of 32 clocks, the NCR should
be buffering enough of its opcodes for this to not be a problem.

I've done a fair bit of testing with 4 NCR's, and so has Joe Greco and
we have not seen any problems running 4 of them full bore with this setting.

I have also done this with 2940's and a mixture of NCR/2940's and DEC 21x4x
networks cards, still no problems.

Video capture boards, well, now you start to get into the magical land of
having to very carefully tune things to work optimally.  Jim Lowe over
at UWM is having better luck with NCR based systems than he is/was with
2940 based for some reason.  It don't make since, and given that I don't
have the Matrox Meteor hardware here to debug it with I have defered to
him on that one.  He specs all his video systems with the NCR... go figure!