Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:26:43 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Daniel Domengeaux" <freebsd@supa-fly.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: softupdates (was Re: df -k)

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Daniel
}Domengeaux
}Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 6:32 PM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: OT: softupdates (was Re: df -k)
}
}> BUT... keeping in mind that the best thing about Unix-like OSes is
}> their flexibility, the free space can be changed. man
}tunefs for your
}> options, but remember that if you want more space, you'll get less
}> speed. You want more speed from tunefs? You get less space.
}> Personally, I'd recommend leaving it alone. Softupdates
}gives enough
}> of a performance boost without eating up disk space... just my two
}> cents.
}> -Otter
}
}i enabled softupdates a few days ago and have noticed a
}slight increase in
}performance but am just curious to know if anyone has any benchmarks
}actually showing the difference between having them enabled and not.
}
}-daniel
}
Daniel,
Follow the link listed in /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates or
maybe find someone with docs from before softupdates were incorporated
into a base install. I remember a lengthy, informative README back
when it was in the contrib section.
-Otter