Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:50:43 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Traffic

On 10/12/21 16:39, Morgan Wesström wrote:
> On 2021-10-12 08:04, Silvio Siefke wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have VPS as webhost which blocked port 25 by ISP. Is there a chance
>> to route the traffic over the vpn Network?
>>
>> My Mailserver had the internal IP 192.168.0.109. I had try it with hosts
>> file but it will not work.
>>
>> Is there a chance to make it with pf?
>>
>> Thank you for ideas.
>>
>> Silvio
>>

> I didn't fully understand your first paragraph but this is how I do it
> and I hope I understood your question correctly. :)
>
> My ISP blocks outgoing port 25 too (like most ISPs do these days). I
> have a VPS on RamNode, who doesn't block anything, and I run my
> mail-server there. I connect my LAN and that VPS through an OpenVPN
> tunnel and I can now send and receive mail from any machine on my LAN
> with no problems.
>
> In pf I just do a pass all on the tun interfaces but nothing stops you
> from creating a rule that just pass the data on port 25/587.

We had a related discussion back in February about this and
the use of SMTP forwarders.  I've been using duocircle's free tier
and it so far is perfect.  If you're interested I think this might
be a good entry point in the archives:

https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=47674+0+archive/2021/freebsd-questions/20210307.freebsd-questions

Russell