Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 17:52:24 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware networking

Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

> In local.freebsd.emulation you write:
>
> >I'm trying to get networking going with vmware under FreeBSD.
>
> >I was going to set up host-only networking and use NATD to get to the
> >Great Wide World under vmware.  This is kinda lucky since host-only is
> >apparently the only sort of networking that vmware supports under
> >FreeBSD.
>
> Last time I installed vmware, one had to have bridging support in the
> kernel, configure vmware for "host-only" networking, and then it Just
> Worked(tm) - full network access from vmware after giving the guest OS
> an IP address on the same subnet as the host OS. You can even use DHCP.
>
> The port has since been changed to use netgraph to do the bridging,
> which I assume should work without building a new kernel.  So, it
> should work out-of-the box, without nat.

Well, it doesn't.  Any ideas on where to start?

(The NAT solution is giving me trouble, too; my next step was to refer
more closely to the way that I did the IP masquerading under Linux, but
if I don't have to do it, that's even better . . .)

And I don't recall an option to use netgraph when I installed; should it
be there by default?
Indeed, I just now went & deinstall/reinstall'ed the port, and I saw no
option.

And it doesn't "just work"; I've tried both the two-separate networks
approach and the one-network approach and it fails.  Also, when I tried
to set up the separate natd stuff, if I set the interface to vmnet1 it
doesn't work; if I set it to ep0, then I break my host-level network,
which ain't quite what I wanted.

Sorry if I seem especially clueless; I'm feeling pretty clueless right
now.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org