Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2012 06:01:16 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem cross-compiling 9.1

> when using an amd64 host to 'make buildworld' it seems that
> it's using the wrong cpp, at least when building ioctl.c via mkioctl in
> usr.bin/ktrace and having set WITHOUT_CPP(*). This used to work with
> previous releases.

> *: Im compiling for an embedded system, and hence I want the minimum stuff.

> at the moment the work around is to remove the WITHOUT_CPP, but it got me
> worried.

> any fix?

> cheers,
>         danny

You don't say what target architecture you are cross-compiling for, and if
your host OS was FreeBSD or something else like Linux or NetBSD.

I've been cross-compiling NetBSD 5.1_STABLE, 6.0 prerelease and HEAD for
i386 and amd64 from FreeBSD 9.0_STABLE with varied results, but in my
experience NetBSD is less stable and less up-to-date than FreeBSD.

Tom