Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:55:27 -0500
From:      Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
To:        "'obrien@NUXI.com'" <obrien@NUXI.com>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: is xntpd working in -STABLE?

[ David: Sorry for the blank reply, my mouse got hyper for a moment :-) ]

David,
	Funny, I just started working on this yesterday.  I don't have a complete
answer for you, but here are some data points:

1)	Yes, xntpd DOES run on -stable (cvsup'ed and "make buildworld
installworld" within about the last week).
2)	I had the same symptom - the '-d' did no good either.
3)	With all the variables I was trying, I'm not sure exactly how I got it
working.
4)	I had to make sure to open my firewall (I was also setting up ipfw for
the first time) for udp port 123 (I know this is obvious, but it may or may
not be the cause for the lack of output even w/ '-d').
5)	I used 'ntpdate -d' to get some more information when it was failing
(and am running it now at bootup).
6)	My drift file is empty, but I manually created
/etc/ntp.{conf|drift|keys}. (I am still working on this).
7)	From /etc/rc.conf:

ntpdate_enable="YES"            # Run the ntpdate to sync time (or NO).
ntpdate_flags="-bs ntp.ctr.columbia.edu"        # Flags to ntpdate (if
enabled).
xntpd_enable="YES"              # Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
xntpd_flags=""                  # Flags to xntpd (if enabled).

8)	From /etc/ntp.conf (minimal):

server ntp.ctr.columbia.edu
peer ns1

	I didn't get to read my mail early today, so you may have already got this
working.  If not, let me know if I can give any further information.

Max

-----
Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
Sysadm, Programmer, etc...