Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:21:07 +0000
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare: booting existing device ...

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Okay, I don't recall reading anywhere that this doesn't/won't work, but,
> if I missed it, please forgive this email ...
>
> Went into Wizard Configuration, choose 'Existing Device', and choose the
> right partition (/dev/hda1), but it tells me 'permission denied' to this
>
> Is there something that I have to do in order to allow a 'normal user' to
> be able to access that file system?

1. It is a security hole, but if you're willing to put up with it, you can chgrp
g+w the
device and then make sure you're a member of the 'operator' group.

2. This may not be enough. Make sure that /compat/linux/dev/hda is a _BLOCK_
device, major 0, minor 0x10002. The error message you get if this isn't the case
implies that vmware wants a character device, but it actually wants a block
device. Of course, wdc and its friends are being deprecated in favor of ata and
its
friends, and atadisk doesn't create block devices. So this is an issue we're
going to have
to deal with sooner or later. I don't profess to know what the right solution is.
:-)

3. Before you attempt to bring up an existing windows partition under vmware, you
should
set up a 2nd hardware profile for vmware so it doesn't trash your existing device
driver setup.
You will probably have to go back and forth a few times in any case to get it to
consistently
use the correct drivers in both cases.