Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:31:25 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI releases XFS under GPL

At 10:49 AM +0200 2000/9/28, Johann Visagie wrote:

>  I'm idly wondering whether it would be possible (or indeed desirable) to port
>  this to FreeBSD.

	XFS does have some cool features -- IIRC, it is an extent-based
log-structured journaling filesystem with directory hashing.  This
would probably be the closest we'd ever get to having something like
Veritas VxFS on FreeBSD.

	I know we used SGI and XFS extensively at AOL, and up to that
point in time, I had never seen anything this fast or that handled
large numbers of files in a single directory so well.

	However, XFS doesn't have "softupdates", and I don't know of any
way to apply something like "softupdates" to it.  And for what we're
doing, I'm not sure how much it matters to us to have something like
Veritas VxFS on our machines if that meant we'd have to give up
"softupdates".

	All-in-all, I'm just not sure if the overall net change would be
a positive or a negative, and for whom.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium