Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 02:36:25 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@cisco.com>
Cc:        tups@novobcs.ee, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: smtp "polling" thru a firewall

This is not what ETRN does.  ETRN allows you to trigger an immediate queue
run on the remote server, but the mail is not going to get sent to you via
the existing connection. If you can't alias or proxy an external port
through to your internal mail serve then you can't in general use smtp.

There are of course ways to set up tunnels, such that you open a
connection out to a machine which tunnels inbound connections in, but this
probably is not consistent with the security policies you're trying to
work with.

Perhaps you could use uucp?  I don't know much about this.  It's mostly
before my time.  I seem to remember seeing it suggested for this sort of
situation though.

Be wary of approaches based on pop/procmail.  You'll probably find someone
who suggests it if you look around, but because it uses the mail headers
rather than the SMTP envelope it behaves incorrectly.  eg most mailing
lists, including the freebsd ones, do not have the recipient addresses in
the headers.

Andrew McNaughton