Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:49:02 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Program to "guess" phone number?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:35:04PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is it there any program that will answer the phone or hang it (with the
> modem, of course) only if the call comes from a _specific_ phone number?
> Can the number be determined?

Mmm, I think that depends on what your phone company does as much as
anything else. I have an ISDN phone with 4 numbers associated with it
and which one I get phoned on gets logged on my PC (even though I do
not have incoming calls enabled). As a corollorary to that (and more
relevant to your question) it again depends on whether the number
of the person phoning you is "visible". Here in Holland my phone
displays the number of the person calling, but the caller can easily
suppress that ability by typing in a special code.

In short you should be able to do it somehow with ISDN, but with
ordinary analog lines I have no idea.

--
Regards
Cliff