Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:03:38 +0400
From:      "Eugene Radchenko" <genie@qsar.chem.msu.su>
To:        "Alex" <garbanzo@hooked.net>, <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI errors with latest -current

Hi!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Date: Sunday, April 05, 1998 12:43 AM

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Andrey  Chernov wrote:

> With latest -current I start to get this sort of errors for my several
> SCSI drives. Since they started at once for several drives, I suppose it
> is not hardware problem. Any ideas?

I find that if your disk system is pushed hard enough, that you will get
errors like that with SCB paging and/or TAGGED_QUEUING enabled even before
PHKs commits.  This is one of the things the CAM code (dunno if it's
stable enough to use)  fixes.  In essence it's a combination hardware and
software problem... I think.

As I tried to shout all over the SCSI list recently (to no avail), this is
not limited to -current or 2.2.5. I had something like this even in 2.1
(though not as drastic -- just dump died and not the whole system). I have
the feeling that 2.1 had not done tagged queueing yet.

I hope now that one of the core team was bitten, this problem will be solved
sooner ;-)
BTW this definitely would classify as bug fix and as such, should be put
in -stable, yes?
I think many people are somewhat disappointed to obtain a release CD just to
begin patching the system right after installation...

Cheers                            Genie
---
Eugene V. Radchenko              Research associate, Computer Chemistry
E-mail: genie@qsar.chem.msu.su               http://org.chem.msu.su/~genie