Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:37:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:   Upgrading FreeBSD 2.2.5

Hi!

I have a copy of FreeBSD 2.2.5; is it worth upgrading to 2.2.6?

I would like to try KDE, but this doesn't seem to be in the 2.2.5 ports
collection (either on the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs or on ftp.freebsd.org in
/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE/ports/ports.tgz).  This is the same for some
other programs as well.
Do I need to upgrade to 2.2.6 (or FreeBSD-current) to run these extra
ports, or can I just use the stuff in /pub/FreeBSD/ports-current?

(How much disk space does KDE take up?)

Also, I am trying to get a Soundblaster 64 AWE card to work;  I recompiled
the kernel, adding the following:

# Sound Card
controller snd0
options "SBC_IRQ=5"
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
#device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
# I changed this line because irq 7 didn't work and Windows 95 said irq 5.
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330

However, on rebooting I got the following:

sb0 not found at 0x220
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
imasks: bio c0004040, tty c003149a, net c003149a

What am I doing wrong?  Do I need an additional driver/kernel patch?  Do I
need to upgrade to 2.2.6 or FreeBSD-current?

Thanks.

Ben.