Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 21:14:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Diyamanthi Dahanayake <dahanaya@chaph.usc.edu>
To:        Zeki@Dilbert.Oasysinc.com (Zeki Basbuyuk)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Hacking help

> Hi,=20
>
> I am writing some low level ip code (Of course under FREEBSD :-)). I =
> need some help on hacking the kernel, understanding memory management, =
> allocating / deallocating memory blocks, command line interface to =
> configure the program.

  Get the book on TCP/IP Illustrated vol.II by Gary R. Wright
  and W. Richard Stevens. This should suffice to get a start, but
  should not expect it to be upto date. But will, nevertheless be
  a good reference. It covers (almost complete) kernel level networking
  and should be able to proceed to the other kernel modules without
  much ado.

> I started dissecting IPFW to learn the internals of the kernel, ip stuff =
> and I'm lost!. Is there any more documentation on the implementation of =
> IPFW?

	Regards,

	DCD