Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:53:14 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, dinesh@alphaque.com, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD now runs in 4MB!

On 5 Aug 98, at 16:24, Mike Smith wrote:

> > BTW,  I also have noticed something odd.  When booting from floppy with a
> > write protected disk, two write protect error messages comes up when just
> > mounting the floppy.  Why is that?  Does mounting the floppy cause a
> > write to it?  This is not good if every time it boots it writes to disk.
> > This can reduce the life on a IDE Flash drive.
>
> Mount the filesystem readonly (-o ro).

I guess I could try this.  Is this the same as the -r option?

> > I do not notice any write protect errors when mounting from a standard
> > FreeBSD system only from PicoBSD.
>
> If you're mounting as the root filesystem, it's likely that stuff in
> /dev/ is having its atime/mtime updated.

AFAIK, it is just mounting the floppy /etc and copying the files over to
the mfs /etc.  This is part of the rc script that is on the PicoBSD mfs
kernel.

echo "Reading /etc from startup floppy..."
mount /dev/fd0c /start_floppy
echo "debug - copying files over"
cd /start_floppy/etc
cp -r . /etc/

The error occurs right after the mount command.  Does anything look
suspicious?

I will try changing the line to:

mount -r /dev/fd0c /start_floppy

Randal Masutani