Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:15:40 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hamellr@dsinw.com
Subject:   Re: Need help fine-tuning a web server (fwd)

On Fri, 26-Mar-1999 at 15:58:07 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Does -m486 also help on Pentium or Pentium II systems ?
>
> Yes it does. If you don't include it then gcc will only use instructions
> that also work on 386's - enabling 486 optimizations will allow the use
> of some extra opcodes that weren't available for 386's that can speed up
> some operations.

Hmm, let me quote from "man gcc":

       -m486

       -mno-486
              Control whether or not code is optimized for a  486
              instead  of  an 386.  Code generated for a 486 will
              run on a 386 and vice versa.

"man gcc" says the m486 optimized code will run on a 386. But this would
imply that these instructions are available on the 386 as well.

I asked because I have heard that m486 optimization would slow things
down on Pentium Processors...

	-Andre