Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:01:03 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: huge amount laundry memory not being cleaned up

Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org> wrote on
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:35:26 UTC :

> hi there,
> i've got a workstation running CURRENT that recently ran out of swap
> space. i killed the usual suspects (chrome, firefox and thunderbird)
> and noticed some odd behavior. while some memory did get freed up -
> after leaving the system idle for 4 hours i still have 14G or memory in
> the Laundry according to top. I also have noticed that very little data
> has paged out of swap (100MB out of 2G).
>

> i was wondering if there was a good way to determine what is in the
> laundry,

I do not know how to get a breakdown of the laundry's usage.
But I'd expect, say, for example, top's resident memory
figures would count what is in the laundry as resident.
If correct, given the large laundry usage, may be some
resident figures would be suggestive?

> or get diagnostic info on why it's not cleaning itself up?

As I understand, it would take take one of the following
to change the status of the pages in the laundry in normal
operation:

A) access to a page by a program, turning the page into
    being in the active category. (It might go through
    inactive to get there?)

B) memory pressure leading to sending the page to the swap
    in order to provide a page for a different use.

Time alone does not contribute much as I understand. More
on-demand driven. Laundry is sort of "inactive but known
to be dirty" as I understand, in some respects just a
subset of inactive optimized for being closer to ready to
page out to swap space if needed.

> when i've seen this before only a reboot will get the system back to
> being stable, if i re-launch my desktop apps they'll quickly start
> trying to page out to disk again creating an OOM condition.
>
> system has 32G of RAM and is running this checkout
> FreeBSD topanga 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #66
> main-n263884-d2a45e9e817a: Thu Jun 29 15:50:44 PDT 2023

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com