Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:03:14 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A perlified gensetdefs

Doug Barton wrote:

> > >         Not to rain on your parade, but personally I'd rather see the amount of
> > > perl in the base reduced instead of increased. Is there a way to solve
> > > the cross-build problems without making this into a perl script?
> >
> > What cross-build problems are you refering to?
>
>         Your stated purpose for making this a perl script was to "reduce
> the number of ELF specific tools," so I'm wondering why that's a priority,
> and if it could possibly be solved with a different method.

Porting FreeBSD to non-supported platforms can be made a bit more easy
if we can reduce the overall number of home brewn tools and instead use
tools provided by the GNU toolchain. Not only does it allow non-ELF
ports, but also help to support big endian ports and other strangeness
we don't think about right now.

I choose perl(1) because I couldn't find a sufficiently efficient
solution otherwise. I've given it some more thought and can probably do
it with sed(1), awk(1) and the likes. The only objection I've had so far
is that we should not depend on perl(1) and I can see why, so I'm going
to rewrite the script...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org