Date:      18 Dec 2000 12:43:26 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mozilla and 4.2-RELEASE

Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> writes:
>Well, I am not a developer, so I can just speculate... earlier they had a
>FreeBSD 4.0 test box, but most probably they stumbled upon some C++ problem
>with our compiler and simply gave up. Later they brought in an old 2.2.8
>box, but that also was relegated to Mozilla-Test. I guess they tried that
>because Netscape also uses a.out for their commercial branch on FreeBSD.
>But later that one also disappeared.

        I've continued to build FreeBSD 4.1 mozilla's with no problems.
I track mozilla's trunk on a daily basis and have not had any problems.

        I don't know what in 4.2 broke them, but I'd expect it's GCC/G++
related from the comments here.

        They don't normally pay a lot of attention to FreeBSD.  After
listening to someone rant at them at meetzilla about how their bug tracking
mechanisms weren't useful and how supposedly FreeBSD people wouldn't want
to report bugs using bugzilla (and would instead want to use freebsd's much
better mechanisms), I'm not surprised.  That person (from a local BSD users
group I think) cost the freebsd community considerable respect among the
mozilla developers and mozilla 3rd-party developers.  (IMHO)

        When specific problems with FreeBSD have been reported people there
have looked into them; one person even set up a machine and made it
available to everyone else there for testing.  That was a while ago,
however, and I've seen few freebsd-specific bugs outside of PSM and java
issues.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com