Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 23:13:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dburr@pobox.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hardware)
Subject:   Re: Using cdrecord port with ATAPI burners?

Donald Burr wrote...
> I read in the cdrecord port information
>
> 	/usr/ports/sysutils/cdrecord/pkg/*
>
> that the port supports the use of ATAPI burners now.  Is this correct?
>
> If so, how do I do this?  What is the proper argument to the -dev command
> line switch?  And what drivers do I need to have in the kernel to enable
> ATAPI writer support (acd?)
>
> I am running 3.1-RELEASE, by the way.

cdrecord itself supports ATAPI burners, but the FreeBSD port of cdrecord
does not support ATAPI burners.

That is because there is no mechanism for passing ATAPI commands through to
the device.

If you want support for ATAPI passthrough, bug Soren about it.  It'll
probably mean putting some special command line option on cdrecord to
select between the FreeBSD SCSI and ATAPI interfaces, since the ATAPI
passthrough support won't be through CAM.

For now, use wormcontrol to burn CDs with an ATAPI burner.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com