Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2014 17:23:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      ari <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open jdk7 marked "FORBIDDEN"

> The 'nasty FreeBSD bug' is that running the latest OpenJDK 6 or 7 will
> cause pretty much all version of FreeBSD back to 8.0 to instantly
> reboot.  This is actually a FreeBSD kernel bug.

> Watch the freebsd-announce@... list -- there will be at least an Errata
> notice for all supported releases.

I understand the desire to protect people from bad effects, but this lockout
of every Java port (since everything pretty much depends on openjdk) is
quite extreme. Can we please have some more information about:

* the nature of the bug
* how far back do we have to revert openjdk7 to avoid the problem

I've got a huge reliance on Java on production servers and this makes me
very nervous. I also had planned an upgrade from FreeBSD 9.0 to 9.2 on a
server today and this can't go ahead since I cannot install an updated
openjdk.

If this is an obscure bug which is in all versions of the openjdk against
all versions of freebsd, could someone please revert the FORBIDDEN flag on
these ports, since its only effect is to:

* make users believe that FreeBSD is not a good platform for Java
* stop users from upgrading from any previous versions of Java, or otherwise
update systems

If this is a serious problem only in the latest version of Java (eg.
1.7.0_45) then can we revert the port to a known working version?

At any rate, more information would be great since I've already got 1.7.0_45
in production on a couple of machines and I need to know what to look out
for.

Thanks
Ari