Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:13:03 +0100
From:      "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@onelab2.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver for Asus P7131 and other SAA-based cards ? (was Re: kbtv2 sound saa.c -- And BETA3 available)

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 21:51:42 you wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 03:25:09AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> ..
>
> > I don't want to be pedantic but I would like see a report of any such
> > panic with the kbtv2-kmod-saa port first before I start changing all
> > sorts of things. Or get it myself.
>
> Hi,
> let me take this message as a chance to ask whether there is any
> work in progress on supporting (on FreeBSD) newer SAA-based cards such as
> the Asus P7131 Hybrid - especially, any support for the dvb decoder part ?
>
> I can certainly work on this a bit, but would be glad to know
> if i can start from something more than kmod-saa (which does not
> seem to have dvb support, and in this specific case does not
> even find the tuner).
>
> thanks
> luigi

I think you'd want to look into linux' dvb stuff, they seem to have tuning
split out now. I have no idea if the saa713x A/V decoder code could be used
at all (doesn't dvb nescessarily involve mpeg?). Does it get you composite
video?

Sorry I don't know more. Here in Holland, if you receive DVB-T at all it's my
understanding that only the 3 public stations are FTA. I'm still on analog
cable (though their reception is digital nowadays, it shows in the sort of
artifacts I can sometimes see), and I hope to keep it that way for a long
time coming ;-)

BTW, I know that "Raaf" (of pwcbsd fame) has a DVB driver for some device, and
also there's another guy who sometimes posts here that has a driver for a
hauppauge "NOVA" card which is also DVB-T IIRC.

Cheers,

Dan