Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 01:36:33 +0200
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

> > The ELF hints file is built by sbin/ldconfig/elfhints.c, which is very
> > particular about the files in the search path it will include - for
> > example, in /usr/local/lib, libslang.so.1.2.2 is built by the slang port,
> > but no link under the name libslang.so.1 is present.
> It is intentional that the ELF ldconfig ignores libraries with more
> than one version number.  The problem you're seeing is simply caused
> by the fact that the libslang port hasn't been updated yet for ELF.
> See the conversion guidelines for more details:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/~asami/elf-guidelines.txt

Well, I started looking for it alright, but it seems a bit rude to me to
just make it libslang.1, and considering that the libslang makefile is
talking about elf major and minor version numbers, I got confused a
little :-) does elf except only major, or is that a FreeBSD specific
thing, or what? And why doesn't it matter when versions get upgraded and
all?

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...