Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz.zupan@medinet.si>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail distribution

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> > > POP3 on this new machine? I simply can't believe that
> > > all providers have only one POP3 server.
> > Why cant you?
>
> How about "single point of failure"? Do you really want me to
> believe that f.e. AOL has one single POP3 server for all their
> thousands (millions?) of mailboxes?

AOL has proprietary, made by their own programmers, software, with disk
mirroring etc.  Under freebsd, due to record locking issues across NFS
etc, there is no clean way to distribute that I know of.

> > I cant think of how you could keep multiple copies of inboxes in sync.
>
> Yeah, that's the problem I'm trying to solve :)

Keep spare parts on hand, keep good backups, and dont worry so much.

You figure, a regular full feed news server is a single machine with a lot
of disk pushing gigs of data every day, and it can be done on a pentium
with ultra wides.

If you are worried about drive failure you can always spend money on an
external drive array with disk mirroring so that should a drive fail you
can hot swap.