Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:49:24 -0000
From:      Lee Brotherston <lee.brotherston@uk.easynet.net>
To:        'Fernando Germano' <fgermano@audiotel.com.ar>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Best security topology for FreeBSD

| I'm about to install a FreeBSD 4.4 box with some firewall and
| I need to know
| wich one of the freeware firewalls product is the best (IPFW,
| IPFilter,
| etc), or maybe if you could recomend me a good solution for
| this situation:

I would say that IPFilter is your best option at the moment.  It is very
rich in features and I believe it has some NAT-specific functionality built
into it, although I've never used the NAT stuff so I can't vouch for it
personally.

You can also compile to kernel to use both ipfw and ipfilter for the best of
both worlds.  When you do this, I am not sure which one get's passed the
packet first however.

Thanks

  Lee

--
Lee Brotherston  -  IP Security Manager, Easynet Ltd
http://www.easynet.net/         Phone: +44 20 7900 4444