Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 11:20:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad swap partition

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Jay Nelson wrote:

> Another question for the developers: what symptoms would I see if a
> disk block in a swap partition were bad and no more blocks could be
> remapped?

(Not a developer, though :)

Once I was using 3.1-R on a PC with some (few) bad blocks on
IDE disks, and some sectors in swap area were also
suspicious.

Result: Sometimes FreeBSD just freezed (under X, mostly).
It never rebooted.

Also an attempt to boot a system faulty disk usually
caused some-kind-of-freeze-during-zillions-of-fsck complaints.

But the OS was not guilty in either case.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>