Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:23:32 -0600
From:      "Mark Carlson" <carlsonmark@gmail.com>
To:        chilo <olihc17@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help on Disk Cloning/Ghosting/imaging...

On 4/23/08, chilo <olihc17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>                                                                                                                 How can I reproduce my system to another box with the same configuration?
>
>  How to create and image if it is using RAID5 with 4x146 SAS drives? isthis possible with RAID5 or can I just image disk by disk (JBOD) willit not affect the contents because it has raid5 technology? and how todo it?
>
>  Is there a third party software like "Ghost" in Freebsd? if so how to use it?
>
>  During my search I saw frisbee but I don't know how to use it. There are only limited information on how to use it and I can't understand it cause I'm new at using freebsd.
>
>  btw I have Freebsd 7 amd64 system.
>
>  Dual Core Intel XEON processor 5000 1333MHZ
>  Intel 5000 chipset family
>  1 GB min fully buffered memory
>  4 x 146GB SAS drives
>  Lan Intel 82563EB dual port controller
>  LSI 1068 SAS Contoller
>
>  I need to have the same configurations on the other servers withoutgoing through the installation stuffs. I believe this is possible but Ido not know how.
>
>  Advance and many thanks.

Can you put two LSI 1068 controllers in one system?  If so, install a
second controller in your working box, attach 4 hard drives to it,
configure the RAID 5, boot up, use 'dump' to do a level 0 dump of the
working filesystem to the new drives, take the drives and controller
out, and put it in the new system.  Boot up the new system and it
should be the same as the other one!

If you can't put two LSI 1068 controllers in one box this probably
will not work.  In this case, you may be able to boot the second box
from a live CD, and set up netcat or something to stream a dump from
the working box over to the hard drives on the second box via the
network.

-Mark C.