Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:18:28 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar damaged (not related to FreeBSD :)

> > > does anyone know of any tricks to repair a file damaged by an ASCII ftp
> > > transfer?
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > is there any way to reconstruct the files?
> >
> > No.  You'll have to use your backups.
>
> Isn't this similar to when Netscape's browser downloads a binary file in
> 'text' mode? - If it is, you can get utilities (e.g. 'winuncook') which "fix"
> the file again...
>
> Maybe it is possible? - Or at least worth looking at :-) - You could probably
> setup a small 'test.tgz' and deliberately put it through the ASCII ftp to see
> if you can put it back together again at the other side?
>
> Infact, I just did it here! - I copied a Windows NT executable into a .tgz,
> sent it through an ASCII transfer, tried unzipping it (it fails), run it
> through Winuncook, try unzipping it - it works, then run the original .EXE and
> it worked... :-) - so it would seem possible...

Yes, if there are no backups, it would be worth trying this
solution -- but backups are better.

That said, I can promise that there will be lots of files that,
once corrupted in this way, cannot be restored automatically.
So the results cannot be guaranteed.  But if it works, then go
for it.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>