Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derek Boonstra <fisbis@ibs-us.net>
To:        Mikel Lindsaar <mikel@cynet.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual Hosting and Apache

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Mikel Lindsaar wrote:

> [... much cut ...]
> Does anyone see any problems with this?  And can I keep doing this until I
> run out of system resources (ram, hdd, processor speed)?

Or... until you run out of breath! ; )
see http://www.apache.org/docs/virtual-host.html
< limits on file descriptors , resources, etc >

> Does the virtual hosting only apply to complete domains?  Or can you
> virtual host a single name of a domain?  Such as in the above example,
> creating an entry for computer1.cynet.net.au when the httpd process is
> running on www.cynet.net.au?

hmmmmm... ow... I'm not sure what you mean by 'a single name of a domain'.
Each virtual host must have its ipDNS configured for the host machine.
So, yes you may create an entry for computer1.cynet.net.au when the
host is running on www.cynet.net.au as long as www.cynet.net.au is set
up to respond as computer1.cynet.net.au.

make sense?

  regards,
 \_,_/\__/_/  \__/_/\_\/_.__/@ibs-us.net  I only need a tablesaw and milk.
 <fisbis@ibs-us.net>