Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:44:34 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl>
To:        Pierre DAVID <pdagog@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Soekris net4801 sees no disk devices with -CURRENT

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:30:06PM +0200, Pierre DAVID wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 05:49:24PM +0200, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to build a NanoBSD image for Soekris net4801 with a recent
> > -CURRENT.  The kernel boots fine but when it comes to mounting the root
> > filesystem, it cannot find the flash disk anymore.  Bios is up to date
> > (1.33).
> >

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to resurrect my old net4801 and update it with -CURRENT
> (old version was a 8-CURRENT), and I do not succeed to get kernel
> output via the RS-232 port. Kernel goes mute just after being loaded.
> Could you send me your NanoBSD kernel configuration file?
>
> Pierre

Below is my kernel config.  You also have to use boot0sio and create a
file called /boot.config containing "-h" so the boot loader knows that
you want to use a serial console.  Usually NanoBSD does that for you
if you include "customize_cmd cust_comconsole" in your NanoBSD config
file and leave NANO_BOOTLOADER set to its default of "boot/boot0sio".

# from GENERIC
cpu		I586_CPU
ident		NET4801
options 	SCHED_ULE		# ULE scheduler
options 	PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread preemption
options 	INET			# InterNETworking
options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
options 	MD_ROOT			# MD is a potential root device
options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	SCSI_DELAY=5000		# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	KTRACE			# ktrace(1) support
options 	STACK			# stack(9) support
options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
options 	PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128	# Prevent printf output being interspersed.
options 	INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
device		apic			# I/O APIC
device		cpufreq
device		acpi
device		pci
device		ahci		# AHCI-compatible SATA controllers
device		ata		# Legacy ATA/SATA controllers
options 	ATA_CAM		# Handle legacy controllers with CAM
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering
device		mvs		# Marvell 88SX50XX/88SX60XX/88SX70XX/SoC SATA
device		siis		# SiliconImage SiI3124/SiI3132/SiI3531 SATA
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct ATA/SCSI access)
device		ctl		# CAM Target Layer
device		pmtimer
device		uart		# Generic UART driver
device		miibus		# MII bus support
device		sis		# Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		random		# Entropy device
device		ether		# Ethernet support
device		vlan		# 802.1Q VLAN support
device		tun		# Packet tunnel.
device		md		# Memory "disks"
device		gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device		bpf		# Berkeley packet filter
options 	USB_DEBUG	# enable debug msgs
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
# local additions
makeoptions	MODULES_OVERRIDE=""
options 	CPU_GEODE
options 	CPU_SOEKRIS
device		atadisk		# ATA disk drives

I have tried with and without the "device atadisk" line but my compact
flash is never seen by the kernel.

Kind regards,

Paul Schenkeveld