Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 23:56:23 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tripwire vs. Mtree

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 09:21:32PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

[snip]

> > But to be honest, I never realized mtree was as powerful as it is. The
> > fact that the file specification info is quite human readable would
> > make doing detailed modifications easy, and that can be awkward in the
> > tripwire configuration file. However, scripting to build the basis of
> > a specification file for mtree that will not be extremely labor
> > intensive to tweek is a non-trivial job.
>
> mtree can scan an existing filesystem to generate the specification file -
> see the -c option.

Right, but the problem is that you want different specifications for
different trees. You still need some sort of script to run mtree for
each tree with the proper keywords. Actually, if someone were to
undertake this, it might actually be interesting if the script could
read a Tripwire configuration file and make the specification from
that.