Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:39:17 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Antoine Beaupr? <anarcat@koumbit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, wishmaster <artemrts@ukr.net>
Subject:   Re: is polling still a thing?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 05:08:27PM -0500, Antoine Beaupr? wrote:
> On 2015-01-27 13:57:20, wishmaster wrote:
> > Have you consider to use netmap-based ipfw instead pf in DDoS mitigation? I think you should. And without any network ''haks'' like polling.
>
> My understanding of netmap was that it wasn't useful for packet
> forwarding, because its design is for transmitting packets directly to
> userland faster, whereas routers dataflow stay mostly in the router...

i think the suggestion was to have let netmap-ipfw
drop the traffic you don't want to deal with, and then
inject the remaining ones into the kernel where
the processing occurs -- possibly even using pf or
a different firewall

There are people using netmap-ipfw on external physical
boxes exactly in this way -- as a "bump in the wire",
but it is trivial to run it on the same machine.

cheers
luigi