Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 95  18:20:57 CDT
From:      Paul Fuqua <pf@islington-terrace.hc.ti.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't Install 2.1.0-951020-SNAP on T4600

     I've failed to install the 2.1 release candidate on my Toshiba
T4600 laptop (486DX, 8 MB, 200 MB IDE disk).  I was previously running
the 950210 snapshot of what became 2.0.5, and I've also run 1.1.5.1 and
1.0.2 on this machine in the past.
     I'm using the quick-installation menu, choosing X-user, custom, or
minimal in different attempts, and I want to use NFS over PPP.  I'm not
trying the upgrade route, because I'm far enough behind 2.0.5 that I
figure it wouldn't work.

Problems:

1.  I want to cut my disk into two partitions, 175 MB filesystem and 25
    MB swap, like I already had, but the installation won't proceed
    without a separate /usr partition.  After the warning about not
    having a separate /usr (to which I answer, yes, I'm sure), the first
    error is

      Couldn't make filesystems properly.  Aborting.

    followed by

      Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file!  Manual intervention will
      be required.

    and

      Unable to open /etc/sysconfig file!  Things may work rather
      strangely as a result of this.

    and I'm returned to the main install menu.

2.  If I give it separate / and /usr partitions, it gets farther, but
    after creating root and swap, I see

      Error mounting /mnt/dev/wd0s1e on /mnt/usr : Invalid argument.

    The alt-f2 screen shows a bunch of

      cpio:  /mnt/dev/rwd0s1a not created:  newer or same age version exists

    for all of a, b, and e, with and without the initial r (ie, six
    messages) followed by

      newfs:  /mnt/dev/rwd0s1e:  `e' partition is unavailable.

    If I continue, it copies the boot floppy to /stand, then says
    "Creating an emergency holographic shell on VTY4," then starts the
    PPP dialog sequence.  I can't seem to find any commands in the
    emergency shell, so I can't do anything there.

3.  If I accept the defaults and create /, /usr, and /var partitions, I
    avoid almost all the errors above, except for the holographic shell
    notice and the newer-or-same-age warnings, but what am I going to do
    with a 30-MB /var partition on a laptop?

4.  The PPP sequence sets up its VTY3 window, but hangs no matter what I
    type, and isn't interruptible.  I'm not using a modem, but a direct
    connection to my Sun's serial port, and without some kind of "help"
    command, I'm stuck.

I'll try again if someone can help me get past all these, but for now
I'm reinstalling 950210.

Paul Fuqua
Texas Instruments, Dallas, Texas                     pf@hc.ti.com