Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:26:30 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off topic - shell skills

>I have about 600 DNS zones on my DNS server, now because we are changing IP
>addresses on our mail server most of those zones' MX/A records will need
>updating.
>How do I write a shell script that will change:

Dave,

I suppose many of your 600 domains share common RR's, and maybe even
many have all RR's in common.

Use the very handy BIND8 $INCLUDE directive to pkg all your common
resource records in one include file:

;file: db.common
@    NS  ns1.ispplace.com.
@    NS  ns2.ispplace.com.
;
@    MX  10  mailhost1.ispplace.com.
@    MX  20  mailhost2.ispplace.com.
;

Since you probably have many virtual www and ftp and smtp servers
behind common ip's, you could have only a handful of zone files to
cover all 600 domains.  For groupA:

;file: db.groupA (maybe 500 domains?)
@   SOA   ns1.ispplace.com.  hostmaster.ispplace.com. (
xxx  xxx  xxx  xxx  xxx )
;
$INLCUDE db.common
;
;web stuff
@         A   ip.ad.re.ss
www       A   ip.ad.re.ss
ftp       A   ip.ad.re.ss
;
;mail stuff
smtp      A   ip.ad.re.ss
pop       A   ip.ad.re.ss
webmail   A   ip.ad.re.ss

Then in your named.conf, all 500 zone statements refer to the same zone file:

zone "somedomain.za"   file "db.groupA";
zone "otherdomain.za"  file "db.groupA";
zone "mydomain.za"     file "db.groupB";
etc

The above approach works for 600 or 6,000 or whatever number of domains.

I recommend against CNAME's as way to dissociate hostnames from ip
addresses, esp when the above techniques are available and the
frequency of ip renumbering is low.  It seems that most people screw
up CNAME's sooner or later, plus CNAME's double the DNS traffic.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways