Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 12:38:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <ajschroeder@BUTLER.TMSComputers.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DigitalServer 5305 install revisited...

Schroeder, Aaron writes:
 > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
 > Booting [kernel]...
 > Entering kernel at 0xfffffc0000331460...
 > Copyright (c) 1992-2002 The FreeBSD Project.
 > Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
 >         The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
 >
 > fatal kernel trap:
 >
 >     trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
 >     a0         = 0x60
 >     a1         = 0x1
 >     a2         = 0x0
 >     pc         = 0xfffffc00005b2a70
 >     ra         = 0xfffffc00005fa0c8
 >     curproc    = 0

This is much different that what you described before.  Here, the PC
is not null.

The only thing that leeps to mind is that the size of your memory
may be a problem (but one we might be able to fix once you get the
machine installed & can get a backtrace).

Try setting hw.physmem to 512MB.  Boot the machine from the CD, then
when you see this:

     Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

Hit the space bar, and wait for the prompt, and type
'set hw.physmem=512M' followed by 'boot'

     ok set hw.physmem=512M
     ok boot

Cheers,

Drew