Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:51:36 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: keymap and .Xmodmap for meta and control

Randy Bush wrote:

> > Did you use "xev" to see what the keys claim for their keycodes?
>
> it produces codes which seem not to be the same code as keymap(5), which
> i am trying to hack.
>
> randy

Well, if that's the case, then why are you trying to use .Xmodmap?

xev produces codes compatible with xmodmap / .Xmodmap.

I've never used keymap; I'm just an old-fashioned kinda guy.
keymap doesn't even exist yet; to wit (on my 4.2 system):

    This manual page first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0.

Clearly, since keymap is the produce of some sort of time warp, your
keys
will probably start functioning in the future as you expect (or perhaps
at some time in the past; I'm not sure how these time vortexes work,
precisely), but if you want them to work in the present, you might
consider
using xmodmap instead.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org