Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:45:23 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic on 4.7-STABLE to 5.0 RC2 upgrade.

JacobRhoden wrote:
> On Thursday 09 January 2003 05:40, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Because RC2 was not tagged, because We Fear CVS Tags(tm), you
> > will need to use a date in order to create your own RC2.
>
> "We Fear CVS Tags(tm)"? Why would anyone fear that?

Tags end up touching every file, so CVSup's get relatively expensive
following a tag.  Basically, every file gets touched, and so people
are loathe to tag.

For something as important as a release candidate, my personal take
would be "eat the overhead"; the system is (theoretically) in code
freeze at that point, so the overhead would be less painful.  This
is not the general consensus of project management, though, so tags
are reserved for releases.

It's actually much less of a problem, now that release engineering
is done in P4, following a date tag.

If you are talking about snapshots, then I definitely agree: no tags;
the overhead is just to high.  A checkout by date, followed by a build,
is enough that it can be recreated, no problem.

Going back to the original problem, I don't know if there is an ISO
disk #2 in the RC2 set; if there is, it should be relatively easy to
download that, instead.  That will get you the sources to the RC2 in
/usr/src, and you could build your own release with a modified config
file from that, which would get you the rest of the way.

You could do the same thing, by extracting the source images off the
disk #1, too, but it would be a little more work to do the cross-build
(as noted by Chris Provenzo, you need a fairly recent 4.x in order to
build 5.x, even though, in theory, that should not be necessary).  The
original poster is bouncing around 4.7-STABLE, so that should not be a
problem, FWTW.

-- Terry