Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fanatical Software Devotion [Slightly off topic ]

> Well, look what I found (about Linux) in my mailbox this morning.....
> :)http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C20863%2C00.html?dd.ne.tx.fs
>
> Anyone have any comments on this????

heh, yeah..great eh? In an wearlier news.com report, they were saying
that netscape's new support in linux would only hurt the company, cuz
linux isn't the main stream, and all this other bs. This one hits the
mark, navigator has joined an eleet crowed. Two senarios, this either
sends netscape deeper into hell, or really gives NT some compitition.
Unix-flavors are getting more support as many users finally have enough
hard drive space/hate Win95-NT control/and remember the large user
control dos had (which of course unix multiplies hundredfold) to start
going towards adding unix to their system (along with BeOS
[sub-unix-flavor] and others). If I'm wrong bout this, well then its only
me, but I don't care. Netscape's move will urge corperations to keep
unix, and the crap that IE forces on NT (along with the fact that the
same number of bugs found in Windows as in unix are only threatening to
windows because windows has a larger user group, and is therefor
exploited far more). The government labs (ie. LLNL) are getting bombarded
with win-nukes/sspings/etc that kill NT, while unix hardly gets hit.
Netscapes move was smart, otherwise they would slowly die as IE took more
ground and the government stayed as out of it entirely. Think about it,
if the justice department makes any sweeping moves on MS, it will only
hurt the industry, and only a long term plan will do any good. Otherwise,
all they'll do is charge MS millions (like the cigerete companies) and
let them get away screwing everyone, legally.