Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 01:18:24 -0600
From:      "Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu" <campbell@neotext.ca>
To:        dsyphers@uchicago.edu
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Was: Merged security patches, now SPAM

Hmm.

Either you didn't read what I wrote, or we don't agree.  The
current spam flood
is a direct result of "security" organizations with an inability
to recognize a
necessary and appropriate use of encryption technology.    Many
of these
groups (but not all of them) reside in your country.

Security in a systems sense includes concepts of accuracy,
availability and
salience of  information.  Spam is an example where a lot of
technologically
illiterate trained house-cats in the "Security" business failed
to comprehend
this and crippled an entire technology with a flawed
implementation.

The question I put (in roundabout fashion) was "Why isn't PGP an
integral
part of email clients".  In this sense it is germaine to
"security@freebsd.org".

Thanks,

Duncan Patton a Campbell is Duibh ;-)