Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:16:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   backing up to removable media

    Does anyone on this list use a Zip Drive, Jaz Drive, or some other form of
removeable media for doing backups?  I recently purchased a SyQuest EZ135 Drive
and I want to do backups to it using it as a raw character device (in this case
/dev/rsd3).  Anyhow, when I backup something that's smaller than the size of a
cartridge, or do a multiple cartridge dump, I end up with only a portion of the
last cartridge used (both under dump's scheme, and tar -M's scheme).  Is there
any way to get either of these programs to seek past a specifiable number of
bytes before writing, and to output the number of bytes offset of the dump just
completed before exiting?  If you have an alternate scheme, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead